Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sensory Rice Box!


As I mentioned in my previous post, my son, the Caveman, has become a wretched unappeasable beast. I had to do something, and popcicles alone were not cutting the mustard.  Therefore, building on the Caveman's outdoor sandbox affinity, inspired by a model from The Dreamer's Kindergarten classroom, we embarked on a mission to create a sensory rice box for our home. I hoped that this idea might be just the ticket to instill a calm over our harried home.


To begin, I bought three, 10 lb. (4.54 kg) bags of long grained rice and dumped them into a 10 gallon (38 L) tub that measured 25 3/8" long  x 18 3/8" wide x 7 1/8" deep.  It filled the tub about 3/4 of the way full with rice.  A perfect amount.


For toys, I picked up some dollar containers and scoops, threw in some plastic cups that we had hanging around, and the Caveman and Dreamer chose some little plastic creatures who would now call the rice tub their home.



The Caveman was pleased, and, more importantly, overcome by a quiet engagement with his new play area. 


The Dreamer joined in the fun, and the two baked, mixed, poured and buried for the rest of the evening.



Success. Peace. Happiness.








No comments:

Post a Comment