Monday, July 22, 2013

Happy "Bird"day Gifting!

The Dreamer, was invited to another birthday party this past weekend, calling, of course, for some gift crafting time! 

Both the Dreamer and the Caveman are intrigued by feathered fauna, and enjoy playing "birds" with little birdcage sets that I created for them after discovering small, affordable decorative birdcages at the craft store. 


Based on this design, we set out to make a gift for the Dreamer's yellow-loving friend for her birthday. 

After choosing a yellow birdcage and a solid yellow handkerchief for wrapping, we set to work to create a little American Goldfinch duo. 

I began by needle-felting a male and female bird to inhabit the cage



Next, I crocheted a nest out of two yarns (a fine feathery and shiny varigated brown and a thicker cotton variegated brown) with a size 10 crochet hook and by starting with 10 double crochet stitches and continuing around twice doubling my stitches two times and then around two more times reducing my stitches. I was not too regimented in this exercise, I basically crocheted around and around until I was pleased with the size and shape of the nest. 
 



I wanted to create some eggs to nestle into the nest, and for this task I decided to consult Pinterest in the hopes of finding an air dry clay. After a little browsing, I discovered the recipe for a baking soda and cornstarch clay that was just perfect for the job. 

Link to making baking soda clay bird eggs: 


I cut the recipe in half, but probably could have used only a fourth of the recipe for the molding of teensy tiny Goldfinch eggs.



After letting the eggs dry thoroughly, I painted them with acrylic paint a bluish white hue. 


We were all thrilled with the tiny eggs, especially after inserting them into the cozy nest that would serve as their home! 




Now for the final touch. The Dreamer suggested that we provide some informational text about the American Goldfinch, and I thought that that was an absolutely marvelous idea. Using the yellow kerchief which we had purchased to wrap our cage, I created a banner of information and a favorite haiku about the little birds nesting inside.



Gift complete, happy "bird"day to you! 


        The birthday girl with her gift! 


1 comment:

  1. You are so incredibly talented and thoughtful and have raised the most generous minded children I have ever met! Thank you so much for sharing all this with us!

    ReplyDelete